The way to overcome motion sickness is not just with medication, it can also be with vehicle safety features. Traveling is an experience full of adventure and fun, but for some people, this sickness can be an annoying obstacle. Nausea, dizziness, and other symptoms of motion sickness can turn an otherwise enjoyable trip into an unpleasant experience.
However, don’t let this sickness stop you. In this article, we will discuss various ways that can help you overcome this sickness so that you can enjoy your trip comfortably and without feeling nauseous. We will discuss simple tips such as the right food, a comfortable sitting position, and the use of advanced technology to increase your travel safety. So, let’s start by exploring ways to overcome motion sickness and make every trip a more enjoyable experience. Find out more in this TransTRACK article!
Causes of motion sickness
Motion sickness, is a condition that can occur when a person experiences discomfort or nausea during travel, especially when in a moving vehicle. Some causes of motion sickness can include:
Lack of oxygen
- Oxygen deficiency can occur especially during air travel, such as commercial flights. In airplane cabins, oxygen pressure is often lower than on the ground, which can result in lower oxygen levels in the blood.
- Lack of oxygen can disrupt brain function and the vestibular system (balance system in the body), which can cause motion sickness symptoms such as nausea, dizziness and weakness.
Shock and Instability
- Shock and unsteadiness are common causes of motion sickness when riding in a moving vehicle such as a car, train, or ship.
- Unexpected or repetitive movements, such as making sharp turns or going through potholes, can affect the body’s balance system and trigger motion sickness.
Changes in Air Pressure
- Changes in air pressure can affect the symptoms of motion sickness, especially when traveling by plane or traveling in mountainous areas.
- Fluctuating air pressure in an airplane cabin or changes in pressure when climbing or descending a mountain can cause a pressure imbalance in the inner ear, which can cause nausea and dizziness.
Having Migraines Due to a Genetic Condition
- Migraine is a type of headache that is often accompanied by symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light or sound.
- People who have a genetic predisposition to migraines may be more susceptible to motion sickness, as environmental changes such as movement can trigger migraine attacks.
Hormonal changes in the body, such as those that occur during pregnancy or menstruation, can affect the balance system in the body.
These hormonal changes may increase the risk of motion sickness or worsen its symptoms, although the impact may vary between individuals.
This sickness is the body’s response to a mismatch between the information received by the eyes, inner ear, and body’s balance system. This condition can affect anyone, although some people are more susceptible than others. Recognizing the cause is the first step to treating motion sickness, and various prevention and treatment methods are available to help reduce symptoms.
This sickness can affect each person differently, and the above factors may interact with each other to cause symptoms. The use of anti-motion sickness medication, behavioral therapy, or preventive measures such as choosing a seat in the middle of the plane or a more stable vehicle can help reduce the risk of motion sickness or reduce its symptoms.
How to get rid of and not get motion sickness in the car
Here are ways to eliminate and prevent motion sickness while in the car:
Avoid consuming heavy meals before traveling
A heavy meal before a trip can increase the risk of this sickness. It’s best to eat light, easy-to-digest food before leaving.
Choose a comfortable seating position
Sitting in a comfortable and stable position, such as in the front seat or in the middle of a car, can help reduce the sensation of nausea. Avoid sitting in the back seat if you are more prone to motion sickness.
Get enough rest before traveling
Lack of sleep can make you more susceptible to motion sickness. Make sure you get enough sleep before going on a long trip.
Lie down when you start to feel unwell
If you start to feel unwell, try lying down with your eyes closed and breathing deeply to help with symptoms of motion sickness.
Take anti-hangover medication
Over-the-counter anti-motion sickness medications, such as dimenhydrinate or meclozine, can help prevent or treat this sickness. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking it, especially if you have certain health conditions or are taking other medicines.
Avoid reading books or using gadgets
Reading books or using gadgets such as cellphones or tablets during travel can worsen the symptoms of motion sickness. Focus on the view outside the window or try to sleep.
Ginger has long been used as a natural remedy for nausea. You can try drinking ginger tea or eating ginger candy before the trip.
Inhale wind oil or aromatherapy
Aromatherapy with certain wind oils, such as peppermint or lavender oil, can help relieve nausea. Use aromatherapy with caution, as some people may be sensitive to certain odors.
Eat Snacks and Drink Mineral Water
Snacks and adequate hydration can help maintain balance in your body. Try eating snacks such as chips or light fruit, and make sure you stay hydrated by drinking mineral water.
Everyone is different, so it may be necessary to try a few different methods to determine which is most effective in treating motion sickness. If this problem persists or is severe, it is best to consult your doctor for further advice.
Motion sickness is an unpleasant experience that can disrupt the comfort of your trip. However, with an understanding of the causes and use of appropriate prevention methods, you can overcome these symptoms.
In addition to the suggestions previously explained, there is also TransTRACK, which not only reduces the risk of motion sickness, but also increases the overall safety and comfort of your trip. It’s a wise investment to protect yourself, your passengers, and your vehicle.
So, as you prepare for your next trip, be sure to consider TransTRACK as part of your efforts to keep your trip motion sickness-free and safe. With this device, you can feel more confident in each of your trips and focus on enjoying your trip.